Friday, June 11, 2010

South Fort Worth

One of the coolest things about urban cycling is that you end up places that you would never go in a car. Today was one such day. My little blue Aveo was at Bruce Lowrie Chevrolet for warranty work. This dealership is directly south of downtown Fort Worth at I-20/Hemphill. Besides cutting through on Berry to get TCU, I really have never spent any time in that part of Fort Worth.

I rode the bike into work on my normal route on Lancaster, but after work, I headed south to go pick up the Aveo. I basically followed Jennings out of downtown Fort Worth all the way to I-20. I was excited to see a Forth Worth Bicycle Route Sign pointing in my direction. Because of this I committed myself to stay on Route 41 for as long as I could.

I was fighting a rather brutal headwind the whole way, but the houses in the neighborhood streets did offer me some protection. The majority of these homes were well taken care of and the kids playing in the front yards all waved at me. As I continued to have to dart close to Hemphill, there was a significant amount of signage in Spanish.

Fort Worth did a good job of keeping me off the main streets, but once I had to go the wrong way down a one way road to follow the sign and another time the road was closed. When I had to route my way back to Hemphill I was surprised to find that somehow I ended up behind a gated road, but I could pass by hopping the sidewalk.

I then had to ride down Hemphill. I kept seeing really cool Mexican restaurants and bakeries that I will have to investigate sometime for lunch. It just made the ride that much more fun.

Once I left this area, it was more the more industrial part of neither Fort Worth, not as entertaining, nor friendly and far more exposed to the brutal headwind, but I made it the dealership safely.

So in the end, got about 30 miles in today and found some cool places to go try for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment