Friday, June 18, 2010

The Schuberts

Thursday night I spent the evening with the Schubert’s. Sean and Regi Schubert have been my friends since 1987 at Texas Tech, back when they were Sean Schubert and Regi Stovall. Regi was in my service fraternity, and I recruited her boyfriend Sean to be on my intramural softball team. They have been a constant in my life ever sense. They are the type of friends that you know will be there when you need them, even though you may go a few months without communicating.

The purpose of our visit was to head out to Worth Ranch with their oldest boy, Noah and their youngest Jack, to visit the third, middle child Luke. Luke is working his first year of camp staff at Worth Ranch with some boys from Troop 5, so it made perfect sense to go out there.

One of the blessings in my life is that Regi and Sean elected for me to be Luke’s godfather. I think all and all I have done a very lousy job in this role. They mysterious ways of God have given Luke and I a bond in scouting, which I really cherish. Luke has bought into the spirit of Worth Ranch and we are able to talk Scout code. I also must commend Troop 5 Eagle Scout and 6 year Worth Ranch Staff member Zach Wisch for checking up on Luke for me. Zach had Luke in a Troop 5 uniform due to a mishap with Luke’s Class A earlier in the week.

It was a very typical family night at Worth, but to think that my friendship with the Schuberts would lead us to Worth Ranch Ranch is quite amazing. Things like this have to have divine intervention, because no one could have predicted this 20 some odd years ago. I made sure to thank the Great Master of all Scouts.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post, my friend. Knowing that you would/will always be there for our son Luke has been your perfect contribution as 'Godfather. We love you so and consider you our brother.
    Side note: you are quite the writer. Please keep on...you have something to say.
    R

    ReplyDelete