Friday, June 25, 2010

Miss Gabby’s Guest Blog

I think that in theory I am supposed to be a scout leader while at campouts and summer camp. However, the reality is that I am a scout leader AND mom. I have found that after taking Leader Specific Training and Outdoor Leadership Skills, being a Troop 5 committee member, and camping/hiking with your scouts and other Troop 5 leaders I have become a better leader and mom.

Here are some things I have learned and observed in the last year and a half, and has been reinforced at summer camp:

1) We go to some beautiful places.

2) When away from the spoils and luxuries of home, boys find interesting ways to use their free time.

3) Practice patience, bite your tongue, and allow scouts to figure it out. For me, this has been the hardest. I don’t like to see them struggle. However, I have seen how creative and clever their solution turns out. More importantly, they see it!

4) Nurture and support without babying; talk less and listen more; suggest, guide, and give options rather than nag; and question rather than tell. You don’t have to be the first to bring something to their attention, if it is bad enough someone will step in.

5) Watching a scout do something for the first time, that they did not think they could do, is magical.

6) Lastly, Greg Shugart is not as bumbling as he may seem. He has a plan for each scout, even if it is not apparent at first.

I am extremely grateful for the privilege to experience summer camp this week, not only with my son, but the sons of Troop 5.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great week. Safe travels home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. REALLY like the hat:)
    S Wisch aka Phantom ASM

    ReplyDelete