Friday, June 26, 2009

Order of the Arrow Call Out

Last night, Troop 5 had two boys called out to become Members of the Order of the Arrow. In Little Troop 5 this is a big deal. The Order of the Arrow is the National Honor Society of scouting that uses Indian lore as a basis to further the mission of Scouting. It provides an opportunity for older boys to learn additional leadership skills outside their troop.

The boys called out tonight were voted in by the members of the Troop because the boys of the troop believe they live up to the high ideals of scouting. To be eligible for the Order of the Arrow, one must be a First Class Scout, have 20 days and nights of camping (including a week of summer camp), and scoutmaster approval.

The boys called out tonight will participate in an Ordeal that will introduce them to the Order of the Arrow. If they are hooked, they will have the opportunity to earn their Brotherhood ten months down the road. If it turns out to be exciting to them and they make the commitment, in a few years the Lodge could decide to bestow the Vigil Honor on them.

I was very active in the Order of the Arrow as a youth and it was a very important part of my scouting experience. The arrowmen of Troop 5 had heard me wax on eloquently with my “back in the day” stories. I will shorten them for you. I received my Vigil Honor in the Black Eagle Lodge in 1984 at Camp Freedom. One of my most cherished memories was doing Indian Ceremonies in western Plains Indian regalia in Kandersteg Switzerland at the International Scout Chalet.

I encourage the Arrowmen of Troop 5 to be active in the Lodge. I have had the privilege to watch five of our youth receive the Vigil Honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment