Monday, August 31, 2009

Sid Ordeal

Adam Rogers willingly drove the one winged Scoutmaster out to the Sid Richardson Ordeal of the Netopalis Sipo Schipinachk lodge this past Saturday. I have briefly explained the Order of the Arrow in the past and I am sure I will go in depth sometime, but today is not that day.

Adam has been one of my scouts since he was 16, when I was his chapter advisor. Along the way he became my friend and now is 28. Patrick Lang and I had the privilege to be his vigil guide a few years back. He noted on the way out, he probably owed me a ride.

Little Troop 5 had three boys going through the Ordeal. I need to at least show up and let them know there Scoutmaster knew it. Troop 5 Eagle Scout and ASM Zack Wisch is the Lodge Chief ; so a little show of support from his Scoutmaster might also be warranted.

I have been active in whatever the current incarnation of the Longhorn Council Lodge since 1997. My short visit not only included visiting the boys of Troop 5, but adult Arrowmen I have become friends with over the years. It is always good to see people who have the same love as scouting as you do. Let it be known that not everyone I have met in the Lodge since 1997 in enraptured by my charm, but at least we are cordial to each other, since at heart, we have the same goals.

The trip had three interesting highlights.

Randy Cox (Troop 43 Scoutmaster), Adam, and Charlie Kahlig (Troop 5 ASM) checked out the $32K Longhorn Council Viking Ship. It is a real interesting expense of Friends of Scouting funds, but I was a tad bit more impressed that I expected to be by the wooden vessel. Although my first attempt to get it for a Troop 5 weekend program failed miserably, I will make another attempt. It looks like fun.

My visit with the boys and adults of Troop 5 was enjoyable. The boys going through the Ordeal seem to be getting out of it what they wanted. I was encourage to see Phillip Pierce (Troop 5 ASM) covered in dust from folding tents all day for his Brotherhood Project. Phillip and Charlie both stepped up and served dinner to the 250 or so attended. It is always great to see Little Troop 5 have an impact. Zack did note that I had a good cover for my usual work avoidance with my cast.

The cool thing of weekend end was my visit with Kenny Crouch. Through the magic of Facebook I learned that an old scouting buddy from high school was going through his Ordeal. Kenny’s dad, Ltc. Bob Crouch is currently serving in Iraq. The Crouch Family lives in Copperas Cove, Texas. I think I met Kenny many years ago at a wedding or get together 12 years ago, but I am not sure. Zack searched the registration to get Kenny’s troop number and I began the hunt for Kenny.

I wandered around till I found a young man in Troop 253. I asked him if he knew a Kenny Crouch. I was given me a rather strange look and he said. “That’s me”. I shook his hand and told him I was a friend of his Dad from Heidelberg, in high school. It’s a crapshoot when you meet a 13 year old, they could clam up or they could chat. Kenny was excited that there someone who knew his dad was there; I did not have to carry the conversation. We discussed Scouting, his family and his Dad’s recent TV appearance. (I cannot find the link) I let him know his Dad and I were in the same lodge in High School and I expected to see both of them when his dad got back from Iraq at lodge events.

Scouting again was good to me.

4 comments:

  1. So you got a kid who is supposed to be on silence to talk to you? Sorry you had to hold down the fort without me. we had a family emergency that kept me at home.
    And just so you know I'm still checking up on you through this site. I think this is a really neat idea. Wow if only my kids had the internet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. After all these years,you seriously dont know how to spell my name? Not cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its sad when you think about it.. but fixed..

    ReplyDelete