Saturday, August 8, 2009

Arrived in Northen Virgina

The journey to the National capital was quite uneventful. I don’t fly that often, most of my travels are by car, so yes I looked like a vacationer trying to figure out all new digital check in procedures, but not like an idiot. Although I would like to note to the people designing maps for Washington Reagan Airport, put where the hell the Metro is on the damn map.

I was greeted at the Metro station in Franconia/Springfield by a much taller Zach Shugart. My nephew was able to spot my quickly based on my clothing choice. I broke out the collared shirt for the trip. I was still in backpacking shorts and Birkenstock sandals, but I was traveling so I had to dress up. All my collared casual shirts are from the Shirley Shugart Collection. So Zach was able to spot the taller rounder version of his father in a shirt that his grandmother would have bought for his Dad. He was instructed by his mother to help me carry my bags, but he correctly noted to her, “He’s a scoutmaster, he not going to have anything with him”.

It was a good day. Five Guys Burgers for lunch with Dudley (my sister-in-law) and my nephew. It also included a tour of the local bike shops looking for a cool Washington area cycling t-shirt. That was a failed adventure, but we did learn where Daniel Schneider, Redskins owner, bought all his bicycles for the team. A salesperson at Spokes Etc. told us that they were instructed the bikes could be any color by blue or silver.

Zach and I got caught up on scouting and I lost a game of Finger Football while waiting for his dad to come home and for his little sister’s dance recital. I have never gotten to see Ashley dance, so I was far more excited to go than Zach. I was able to spot her on stage quickly, from a distance she looks like my little sister at that age, but much more graceful. The recital included traditional, hip hop and tap. There could be a whole blog entry on the irony of watching a bunch of suburban Washington girls do hip hop, but let us move on. It was rather impressive to me to see how hard she works and the enjoyment of it she shared as she ate her Dairy Queen.

Today will bring my folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment