Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Good Bye Texas Wheels

Sunday’s ride was a testosterone infused hammer fest. It is not what a Sunday ride was supposed to be. What it really was the final nail in the coffin of the Texas Wheels Cycling Club.

I am probably the only person on the ride that realized this fact. I joined Texas Wheels in 1995 and served as president for a number of years. It was the cycling group of strong recreational riders in Southeast Tarrant County. I met many of my cycling friends because of this membership. Texas Wheels rode out of the Wheels in Motion Shop in North Arlington. The shop closed but the club continued to operate. Some of its members even raced, we ran a criterium and even a monthly time trial. When I took over the scout troop as scoutmaster I stepped down in my leadership role in the club. At its peak it had about 100 members, but for the past five years or so it has been slowly dying due to all sorts of factors. Last Spring I was handed the books of the club and I have yet to get around to closing them. I always envisioned finding the time to rejuvenate the club, but I never could.

Well nature abhors a vacuum and there is apparently a need for a bike club in Southeast Tarrant County and that role has been filed. When Big Dave I rolled up to the Sunday night ride there were about 12 riders in new “Primos Racing” kits. A new cycling club had been formed. I joked I missed the memo. What ensued was a hammer fest lead by Team Primos to announce their presence in the cycling world.

I was frustrated by all of this until I realized why it was bothering me. Texas Wheels had been replaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment