Sunday, May 23, 2010

Bike to Work Day!

Friday was national bike to work day. Although I try to cycle commute at least once a week when the weather allows, I was real excited for some geeky bike rider reason.

I switched my usual commute day to Friday for the event. My bike shop was at the Fort Worth Intermodal Transportation Center. Corner Bakery provided the coffee and the breakfast food. I even got interviewed by Channel 5 about my cycling commuting, but it did not make the news.

Although I am a roadie at heart, it was fun being perceived as a commuter by the arrogant roadies who did make the effort to ride their bikes to work. They looked down in distain at me as I was there with my $300 steel commuter mountain bike from the early 90s in my backpacking shorts and t-shirt. They were all kitted up with their $5k plus road bikes. One of the roadies was kind enough to explain how his bike was different and that he would never put a rack on it. I smiled and played along and he did not notice we both shaved our legs.

The real reason I rode was because the Tarrant County Judge Whitley committed to doing the small bike rally that started on the Trinity Trails, climbed the Taylor Street hill (at times it has a 13% grade) and head to the Intermodal Transportation Center. I even told the Judge that was my sole purpose of being there. I am not sure he was that amused.

Also in attendance was Gary Fickes, County Commissioner Precinct 3 and Betsy Price, Tax Assessor/Collector. It is important to note that Ms. Price is an actual cyclist that I have ridden with in the past, before I even knew her as the Tax Assessor/Collector.

All the elected officials did a fine job of climbing the Taylor Street Hill. Ms. Price of course did the best, but both the Judge and the Commissioner did a fantastic job. It was really evident that the Judge did not want to walk up the hill. All my riding, cycle commuting, etc. helps the greater cause of the cycling world, but to have elected officials participate brings a heighten level of importance to this event.

I do not expect Tarrant County to suddenly become the cycle commuting capital of the world or even Texas; I am just pleased with the attention we got for one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment