Thursday, October 22, 2009

Woggle


Troop 5 had a wonderful open house this past Monday. We had visitors from three different packs check out all our boys, adults and equipment. I believe it was quite successful.

Since I just wrote about a Significant Object, I thought I would keep the theme going.

Troop 5 is a full uniform troop, with a neckerchief. I always set the example at meetings and campouts by being in full uniform. Little Troop 5 is one of the few full uniform troops in the council. In addition we wear our neckerchiefs drape around the neck without a slide or a woggle. This is done for three primary reasons. 1) It looks good 2) It looks different and 3) you don’t have eleven year old scouts losing their woggles. The bottom of the neckerchief is tied with a “friendship knot” better known as the “square knot”.

At the open house, I wandered around trying to look and act like a Scoutmaster. The troop had set up a backpacking camp site, a traditional camp site, food table, info booth and a slide show. During one of my visits, Mamoon Siddiqui presented me with a woggle that he had purchased at Baden Powell’s house in England. It is rather touching when one of your scouts gives you a scouting gift, so I slide the woggle onto my neckerchief and continued my trip around the open house

Chaos suddenly struck the boys and the adults of Troop 5. Why was I wearing a woggle? No matter where I turned people would ask. Some of the parents have not even seen me since I had the cast remove did not notice that, but the fact their scoutmaster was wearing a neckerchief slide big news. I had to explain over and over again it was a gift.

Funny how such a little thing can draw attention. Despite the distraction, the Open House carried on.

No comments:

Post a Comment