Monday, October 12, 2009

October Campout

Little Troop 5 had a very uneventful Campout at Worth Ranch this past weekend. Considering in August, I broke my thumb and in September I crashed the bus, it was very nice to have an uneventful camp out.

The purpose of this campout was to begin the long journey to Philmont Scout Ranch with the first year scouts. One day, they will all go to New Mexico for a 10-day 70-plus mile backpacking trip, but this weekend was about getting them up a mile and a half up Kyle Mountain.

I have noted before there was a movie, but first years look like hobbits with their backpacks on heading out with the fellowship. Regardless of the advice you give them, they always take too much and over strap their backpacks. The journey up Kyle Mountain took them the amount of time I expected, I did not factor them in getting lost, but they still made it to the top.

I did make the journey with my portable Satellite Radio so I could listen to the Red Raiders play the Kansas State Wild Cats. I was in a very happy place sitting off to the side, listening to the Red Raiders roll, watching the boys cook on or by the fire, and staring at the stars. It was a wonderful scouting evening.

In the morning, we were greeted by a misty rain. I rolled over and found the classic vinyl rock station on the Satellite Radio. I very luckily woke the troop up with the boom box cranking “Get Back” by the Beatles. What an awesome way to start a day, as one of the boys noted, to “Rock Band” music.

1 comment:

  1. Little Troop 5 will be ready to hike Philmont when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete