Friday, September 11, 2009

My Mother's Thoughts Today

I was sitting in my office in Dalworthington Gardens 8 years ago today. I got called into dispatch to be informed of the strike on the World Trade Center. It was a sickening feeling. They day was unraveling quickly and soon time stood still as I learned the Pentagon was struck as well.
My brother was stationed at the Pentagon on September 11, 2001. The phone lines were jammed and nobody could find out his status. My sister-in-law just went up to my to my nephew Zach’s school and gathered him up. My family was blessed to learn rather quickly he was fine when he returned home to greet his family. Not everyone was as lucky.

My mother has been through these times more often than I have. My father was in the Battle of Soui Tre in Vietnam in March of 1967, five months after I was born, but prior to me ever meeting him. She sent out a rather thoughtful, well written email this morning to her three children, that I want to share.
SUBJECT: Two dates in my life
Good morning,
I sat and watched the 9/11 ceremonies from NYC, DC and PA which brought back two memories in my life that with the same emotion. The first was in March of 1967 and 9/11/2001. Your Dad and David both knew they were ok but I didn’t. It took only hours for us to find out that David was ok but it was two weeks before I hear from your Dad. As you know I read in the newspapers about the battle and there were quotes from Dad’s bosses and men that I knew but I heard nothing from your Dad. I saw two staff cars drive into my apartment complex the day after I saw the news on tv. It was a long two weeks before I got your Dad’s letters telling me about the battle. I was alone with with two baby boys with parents that didn’t know what to say but supported me the best they knew how. I now understand how Mamie felt and am thankful that Dudley had only a short wait to find out her husband was well and on his way home. I guess you three think your mother is loosing it in her old age but I felt like sharing these poorly written thoughts with you.

I love the three of you very much.
Mom
Lots of brave men and women don’t get to come home. I was lucky my family did.

No comments:

Post a Comment