Friday, April 23, 2010

Double Flat

Sometimes the best laid plans completely fall apart on you.

I usually only ride my bike on Tuesday and Thursdays, whether it is cycle commuting or road riding. This past Wednesday, I decided to cycle commute because there was rain in the forecast for Thursday.

I picked a wonderful day to ride home. The wind was out the south, but the temperature was in the low 70s.

I have been pleased on how my legs and lungs are starting to respond. I still do not feel I am yet in Spring shape yet, but the rides home seem to go by quicker.

As I turned off of Division onto the road that leads you to Forrest Edge, I noted my rear wheel started to feel soft. I look down and realized a had a flat. I figured I could ride it home low, but about 100 yards later, I was riding the rim.

I did a tube change under a shade tree on the bend on Forrest Edge. I checked to see what caused the flat, did not find anything. I ran my hand on the inside of the tire. Nothing. I was real proud of myself on how quickly, calmly and manly I did the change. I even did a puff chest "I am fine" to the nice lady in the pick up truck who asked if I needed any help to add to my machismo.

With a solid tire, I headed home and withing 100 yards I was dead flat again. I only carry one spare tube, so I was done. I proceeded to ride the rim until I got across Park Row. The head wind that was not bothering me suddenly seemed to be a lot more powerful.

I did pull over and call Carol, but she was just leaving work. By the time she could get me, I would be home on the rim. Plus it appeared that I already ruined the tire. This being the case I slogged all the way home at about 5 miles an hour, with the tire making all sorts of noise. Any illusion that it was not ruined was getting shattered.

I made it home in one piece, but I do admit I was looking for the nice lady to ask me the question one more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment