Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Troop Senate

Saturday was the 2010 Troop Senate. It is the annual planning conference for the troop and spring SPL elections.

I know I have whined about this in the past, but one of the frustrations about being a Scoutmaster for a long time is reinventing the wheel every few years. You have a group of boys who finally get it and they turn 18 on you.

That being said, the next group of teenagers are now in charge of the troop. This group of 13 year olds have quite a bit of promise, they just need to focus. That can be said for lots of people I suppose.

One of the lessons of a Troop Senate is to put together a meeting with an agenda and follow it. I have been in many meeting with people with MBAs. MPAs, JDs, etc. that have not known how to run a meeting, so I need to give a 13 year old a little slack.

The boys started out a tad bit adrift, but I kept steering them out of the ditch and finished strong.

I was most impressed with the SPL election. Four boys stepped up to run and it was a thoughtful and closed election.

The calendar for next year is set, just waiting for approval from the troop committee.

The boys have a big 2011 planned, now to the implementation.

No comments:

Post a Comment