Tuesday, June 14, 2016

John Sloan


I have been part of Little Troop 5 since 1997.  Many scouts have come through the troop.   John Sloan was one of the most rambunctious Scouts this Troop has ever had.   He was active in the Troop in mid 2000s.   He is a member of the elite crew of boys from Troop 5 that actually completed the Eagle Rock Loop in Arkansas.

One of the games that John and I would play at summer camp was making me the biggest peanut butter and jelly sandwich at meal time.   John would always make this humongous PB&J for me to make sure that I left the dining hall full.

John got busy with high school and life, like lots of young men.  He went off and became a Marine. Served our country proudly.  I often remind the boys of Troop that it for men like John that we get to do the things we do in scouting. 

I learned on Monday morning that John passed away.  His memorial service will be at the First Christian Church in Arlington this Saturday.

Keep a watch on us John!  I will enjoy every sandwich.


“You put more value on every minute...You know I always kinda thought I did that. I really always enjoyed myself. But it’s more valuable now. You’re reminded to enjoy every sandwich and every minute.”  - Warren Zevon

2 comments:

  1. Greg, you are a blessed man to have so many memories of fine people like John. Thank you for being a big part of our sons lives and the influence you have with them. "It takes a village (and sometimes a Troop)..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. At my apartment my coffee cup sits on a coaster that John made for me out of an oak branch he cut and branded with the 5. In one of the many directional conversations I had with him, I told him in all sincerity; that I trusted him with my life, but I didn't trust him with his. He loved to hear that he had done well. God bless and keep this boy.

    ReplyDelete