Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Visit from the Folks

I need to figure out time to blog. I really enjoy it and feel guilty when I don’t get to it soon enough.

My folks came into town for my birthday this past weekend. It was an enjoyable visit. Besides lots of fine Mexican food, barbeque, and fried cheese, we had wonderful visits with family. We had dinner on Friday with Brett, Brittany, Tamara, David and Aedan. It was really neat to introduce my parents to Aedan. This little 9 month old bundle of joy did not disappoint. We also had dinner on Sunday night with my Uncle Bill, his new wife Bet, my cousin Mark, his wife Julie, and their two children. In between there was shopping, a tour of the Tarrant County Court house and a football game in Lubbock.

It is always fascinating when your parents grasp a part of you that they really never understood. This accrued due to an interesting encounter with another Red Raider at Academy in Arlington. My sister sent my folks on a mission to get some Texas Tech T-shirts for her boys. My Mom, Dad and I were standing around quite the array of Texas Tech memorabilia. I was noting that we owed this section to Michael Crabtree for making that catch against Texas last year, because it used to impossible to find good Tech gear in the metroplex.

As I was waiving my hands around, I almost struck a guy. I turned to apologized and he had a Texas Tech Hat on. We struck up of conversation about the Red Raiders, where we were when Crabtree caught the ball, and the current situation with the team in Lubbock. He was another metroplex resident with season tickets in Lubbock that graduated two years before I finished my undergrad. I lost track of my parents as my new friend and started discussing games from the 80’s and 90’s. The conversation ended with a dissection of the current season. My new friend and I shook hands I went in search of my parents.

My Dad noted that he never saw two people talk so passionately about their football team before. I explained that is why I had season tickets, so that I could surround myself with likeminded people. I don’t think it was until my Dad witnessed this passionate Red Raider discussion with a complete stranger did he grasp the depth of my commitment. The kids and Carol were not surprised at all when the story was retold.

1 comment: